What is PSI doing on Thermostats?
PSI is currently providing technical support to state officials and environmental groups seeking to create or implement EPR programs that mandate the collection of mercury thermostats. Simultaneously, PSI is working in Illinois with the Illinois EPA to increase both the collection and recycling of mercury thermostats and mercury auto switches through our Illinois Mercury Reduction Pilot Project.
Illinois Mercury Reduction Pilot Project
Our Past Work on Thermostats
In 2004, PSI developed a Background Summary Report that highlighted the problems, key issues, and potential solutions to managing thermostats, and held two stakeholder meetings in July and October 2004. The multi-stakeholder group reached agreement on multiple priority projects intended to increase the recycling of mercury thermostats and ban the sales of new mercury thermostats. The projects included and outreach to HVAC wholesalers, and HVAC contractors to increase the number of collection sites, testing the effectiveness of a financial incentive for contractors and homeowners, and testing collections at household hazardous waste facilities. PSI has demonstrated through a pilot project that a financial incentive provided to contractors could increase the number of mercury thermostats collected and recycled. In addition, PSI mediated the nation’s first comprehensive thermostat legislation in Maine, assisted the Maine Department of Environmental Protection on its consumer and contractor collection programs, and began a thermostat mail back pilot project. PSI also developed a comprehensive model state thermostat program. Performance goals and incentives are key components to the model program.
For more information, please contact Scott Cassel, at (617) 236-4822, or Scott@productstewardship.us
- Turning Up the Heat II: Exposing the Continued Failures of the Manufacturers' Thermostat Recycling Program. The Product Stewardship Institute and the Multi-State Mercury Products Campaign, April, 2013.
- Model State Thermostat Program. The Product Stewardship Institute, October, 2011.
- Bridgeport Mercury Thermostat Collection Program. The Product Stewardship Institute, October 2010.
- Thermostat Background Summary Report. The Product Stewardship Institute, October 2004.
- Comparison of State Mercury Thermostat Performance Goals. The Product Stewardship Institute, October 2008.